||Origin: Charles County was created in 1658 by an Order in Council. It is not to be confused with an earlier Charles County (1650-1653) known as Old Charles County. The County was named for Charles Calvert (1637-1715), 3rd Lord Baltimore. Calvert lived in Maryland from 1661 until he returned to England in 1684. He was Proprietor of the Maryland colony from 1675 to 1689, when he lost his right to govern. From 1692 until Calvert's death in 1715, Maryland was governed as a royal colony.
County Seat: La Plata , MD 20646
Form of Government: County Commissioners
1990 census: 101,154
2000 census: 120,546